Mushrooms taste best when eaten fresh. That's why we do our best to deliver them to supermarkets within 36 hours of harvesting.
- If you do not eat them on the day of purchase, you can keep them in the refrigerator for five to six days, at a temperature between 2° and 6°C.
- If you purchase pre-packed mushrooms it's a good idea to keep them in their own packaging until it's time to use them.
- Loose mushrooms should be placed in a paper bag before you store them in the fridge.
- To discourage moisture accumulation, which causes mushrooms to 'sweat' and deteriorate quicker, make sure you never store mushrooms in closed plastic bags and never ever wash them before storing.
- A final tip is that mushrooms tend to absorb other aromas very easily, so keep them away from strong-smelling vegetables like leeks, onions and garlic.